The EU/UK transition period came to an end at 11:00pm UK time on 31st December 2020, which is when EU REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) stopped applying to the UK.
Through the UK withdrawal act the UK Government will convert REACH into UK law. Regulatory requirements to manufacture and import chemical products in the UK will stand with registration, evaluation, authorisation and restrictions remaining key elements of the new UK-REACH system.
As with all matters surrounding Brexit and the implications it may have across the chemical industry UK REACH remains a high priority in our management meetings so we, as a business, can proactively plan and prepare for the future.
Detailed below is our response and plan for the transition period and beyond. Please note, this is not a final strategy, as new legislation and rulings are announced we will review and adapt where necessary so please continue to check this page for updates.
Our plan for EU REACH
- Transfer our existing EU Reach registrations across to our EU based sister company
- Communicate with UK based EU Reach registrants to ensure they have/are taking actions to ensure we can continue to export their product into the EU27.
- Communicate with non-EU based suppliers to ensure their EU Reach registration will still be valid post 31st December 2020.
Our plan for UK REACH
- UK Reach in reality only covers goods placed onto the market in Great Britain as Northern Ireland have special arrangements.
- We will make a notification within the UK Reach IT system for the products where we have held EU Reach registrations within the first 120 days of the end of the transition period. We will make a notification as a Downstream User / Importer (DUIN) within the UK Reach IT System for the products where we are now an importer from outside of the UK within the first 300 days of the end of the transition period.
- Please note UK Reach IT System was not accessible until the end of the transition period on 31st December 2020.
- There is currently only high level guidance available from UK Government regarding UK Reach & the UK Reach IT system.
Further guidance regarding actions related to UK Reach & EU Reach can be found at https://www.hse.gov.uk/brexit/reach-guidance.htm
Trade with Northern Ireland
- Goods placed onto the market in Northern Ireland from GB must meet the requirements of EU27 Reach at the end of the transition period.
- Goods placed onto the market in GB from Northern Ireland have a significantly reduced requirement to meet UK Reach as long as they comply with EU Reach.
We can, of course, only plan based on the information made available to us from the government, our customers and our suppliers. However, please be assured we will endeavour to continue to provide uninterrupted chemical supply and first-class customer service during this period of change.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.